Sunday, June 15, 2014

Book Review: What Got You Here Won't Get You There

What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More SuccessfulWhat Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


One day last summer I was approached by the senior leader of a client group about whether I could work with one of the members of the management team who was a valued employee but often rubbed people the wrong way.  I disclosed right away that I don't have any training in human resources or in executive coaching, but my client felt sure I could help, adding that the manager in question trusted me and would likely work with me. I took the contract with a degree of uncertainty... and after some time offered the manager a two-page synopsis of this book to read.  Three weeks ago she asked if she could borrow my copy of the book.  I bought her one of her own.  Honest to goodness... it is working!  I didn't have to do much in the way of helping her see how her manner of speaking to others was causing troubles... Marshall Goldsmith did it all.  This books is wonderful and I have used it before.  (Better consulting through reading!) 

The book also helped me directly.  I was shocked to discover that my habit of jumping in to expand on other people's ideas could be seen as dismissive or taking over! I really do try to "add value" less often now, or at least to offer a quick apology when I catch myself doing it.  I have a few trusted friends who understand that I am working on my manners and I will often ask them for honest feedback after meetings.  Sometimes they give it and sometimes they lie... but I am learning to tell the difference.  Thanks Dr. Goldsmith!  I reserve five star ratings for books that change my life... and this one qualifies!

Anyone who has ever been told by a co-worker or supervisor that they put others out with their behavior should jump on Abebooks today and order a copy of this book.  It helped me and my clients and it will help you too!

Click here to read a two-page summary written by me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment