Sunday, July 20, 2014

Richard Branson Rocks

One of the toughest business decisions I ever made was to pull the plug on selling the WhatIsCathyReading two-page summaries.  I was quite attached to the vision of earning my income while retired from the slog of putting in billable hours.  I felt like I had a good product to offer and I enjoyed creating it.  And while I believed it was just a matter of tapping into the right market niche, I knew in my heart that I didn't have what it takes to put in the hard work of finding that niche, or doing that selling.  The fire in my belly just wasn't strong enough to make it work and I was meanwhile pouring good money after bad.

I came to this conclusion while reading Richard Branson's thoughts on letting go of ideas that are failing.  As a fellow who has climbed the high mountains to make enterprises wildly successful, he knows a thing or two about when to invest time and effort and when to change gears, retool, and reinvest in something more likely to succeed.  His words mattered to me. I took the advice, stopped what I was doing, and replaced the paid website with the free one.  I still like doing the summaries, so just click on the title of any of the four books reviewed in this blog and be connected to a downloadable two-page summary written by me!

Richard Branson's approach to business and to life is always fresh and inspiring.  His courage, ability to overcome odds, world-class entrepreneurship, and team-building skill earned him billions.  He seems to move through life like a chess grand master moves across his board, except that Branson is having more fun.  In honor of his birthday (and mine!) I have collected my reviews of four of his books into one spot.  And since I am extolling Sir Richard's virtues as an author, let me also highly recommend following him on Facebook and LinkedIn.  He puts out great stuff daily, presumably with help from a wonderful staff.  Plus, his face always makes me smile.

Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My WayLosing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way


It's true.  I am a 7-18er. Richard Branson, Nelson Mandela, John Glenn, and I all have the same birthday.  How cool is that?  Branson is an especially attractive figure to me, but not for the dare-devil, high-risk and high-yield lifestyle he's had.  I like him, and enjoyed his book, more because of how honest he is.  He was not born qualified to run a multi-billion dollar conglomerate.  But after running a student newspaper for a while, he was qualified to take on another business too.  Then another, and another and another.  Until he was running a multi-billion dollar conglomerate.  Oh, and having fun along the way.  What's not to like?  Thanks Sir Richard!  We appreciate the time and effort you put into chronicling your journey for us!



Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won't Teach You in Business School.

Among the many, many reasons why I enjoy having a new book by Sir Richard to read is that his writing style is punchy and fun. He never dwells on tedious points, building complex arguments to make his case. He just says what he thinks.  Let others spin their wheels proving him wrong. He's got other stuff to do.

The subtitle here says it all: "Secrets They Won't Teach You at Business School."  Can't get more clear than that.  Branson is an alum of the University of Been There, Done That... and he has graduated with honors.  In 76 chapters of about four pages each, Branson provides wisdom on everything from taking risk, innovating, and making change to leadership, office relationships, and listening to frontline staff.  He writes of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and putting family life first.  He says money follows people who follow their passion.  Focusing on money gets us nowhere. All golden.

Like a Virgin is liberating... Branson not only advises readers to break with conventional wisdom in a host of ways, he also gives us permission to follow our own lights.  Make it up as we go.  Focus on what we think is important. Mess up. Try again. Have fun. Give back.  It's OK Mom (Boss, Mr. Banker) Sir Richard said I could.


Screw Business As UsualScrew Business As Usual 


So now comes Sir Richard with a critique of modern business practices that only he could produce. In exhorting readers to "Screw Business as Usual" Branson is calling upon us to reinvent capitalism in a more ethical, more just, and less destructive way.  His primary theme here is that Capitalism 24902 (named for the number of miles in our globe's circumference) must serve the world and not deplete it.  "Doing good is good for business" he says over and over... and then he proves his case.  He tells dozens of stories of business leaders who break the model, screw business as usual, and go on to greater wealth and influence than they could have done with traditional methods. And he uses himself as a case-in-point to great effect.  With his example, we learn how a great leader like Branson thinks and makes decisions - and then it all seems more attainable somehow.

Screw Business as Usual is a call to action that is truly motivating!  While reading, I made some new personal commitments in terms of how I organize my little one-woman consulting firm.  Not much in the grand scheme of things, but it is my bit to do and I will do it.

If I had had four and a half stars to give, I would have, and I nearly went with a five.  Though the book was a bit slow in the beginning, once I got to Chapter 3 or so it became a real page turner and I enjoyed the reading immensely.  I have scribbled more wows, far-outs, and yeses into the margins of this book than I have done since those college days when every idea was new and exciting. If that ain't a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon I don't know what is!

Branson initially became a favorite of mine because we share a birthday - July 18 - and we share it with some other phenomenally smart and brave people like Astronaut/Senator John Glenn and Freedom Fighter /President Nelson Mandela.  I think that the greatness in this 7-18er (as Branson calls us) must be latent!  But I love how these great leaders call forth everyone's best.  Thanks guys!


Screw It, Let's Do It: 14 Lessons on Making it the the Top While Having Fun and Growing Greener

Here are the notes I made to myself on the back page of this book after reading it on the plane out to California for a dream 50th-birthday vacation. "I can afford this trip.  I can meet my own needs, now and into the future. I can help any who need me. There's a lot of life in this body - and a great deal to give. Now, have fun - and let the money take care of itself. Screw it - let's do it!"  Really, what else is there to say?  If an author can make you feel that good about yourself, your decisions, and your future, then anybody should want to read that author. 

I am not like Sir Richard in any way.  I am not as smart, not as brave, not as passionate, not as ambitious or male or British. But the way he lives his life, and the thoughts he shares, inspire me to the core.  If he ever quits putting out books I may have to read one of the old ones every few years just to stay connected to that spirit. 

My own essential life commitment is to finding and sharing the value of creating option "C" - inventing a way past the dug-in place when people who want "A" are pitted against those who want "B."  Screw It Let's Do It is a how-to manual for anyone who wishes to participate fully in the capitalist system while simultaneously taking care of the earth and enjoying life. It's Creating Option C writ on a grand scale by busting out and focusing on what matters.  What a gift.  Happy (re)birthday to me.  Happy (re)birthday to everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment