Sunday, August 31, 2014

Book Review: The Winners Manual

The Winners Manual: For the Game of LifeThe Winners Manual: For the Game of Life by Jim Tressel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


So the Ohio State football season opened yesterday and I was not in front of the TV for the game.  This is the third Buckeye season without Jim Tressel and I find myself struggling to care whether the team wins or loses.  My whole life I have "bled scarlet and gray" as we say around here... but when they pressured Coach Tressel into resigning they really tarnished the OSU brand as far as I am concerned. 

Tressel's book is about leadership... something at which he excels.  I loved this book, and felt like I learned a great deal even though I have never played a down of football.  The life lessons Tressel extrapolates from the game are universal in their application. His ability to shape young men into champions and professionals is unmatched.  His coolness on the sidelines was a wonder to behold.  The clarity of his vision, strength of character, depth of commitment to those he led, and willingness to set a positive example all added immensely to Ohio State's stature as a world-class institution capable of attracting the best of the best.  Wouldn't it have been brilliant if instead of punishing Tressel for not being perfect, the university had highlighted his example of how a great leader handles himself following a mistake?  He acknowledges the wrong, apologizes for harm done, accepts responsibility for the consequences, and pledges to avoid that mistake going forward. What else can any of us ask of anyone? 

Jim Tressel is a winner... and his book is an excellent addition to any collection on leadership.  Thanks Coach!  No matter where you go in life... I will be rooting for you!

Click here for a download of a two-page summary written by me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment