Sunday, November 16, 2014

Book Review: Secrets of Six-Figure Women

Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your LifeSecrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life by Barbara Stanny

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


So I was 44 years old and deep in debt when Suze Orman finally got my attention and convinced me that my financial security was my responsibility.  Five years later I had savings, a retirement account, and no debt.  Thank you Suze. 

But it was Barbara Stanny who showed me that the adjustments I needed to make were not all on the expenses side of the ledger... I was a chronic UNDEREARNER... I was not making what I was worth.  Worse, I wasn't even trying.

Sometimes people need a kick in the head to do the right thing for themselves.  That's Orman's approach... and it helped me.  Stanny's approach is more subtle but equally effective: provide role models.  Show readers that women who earn good money are not male-defined, sold-out automatons with mixed up priorities.  By finding them, interviewing them, and presenting their stories, Stanny shows us that high earning women can be passionate about their work and deeply invested in advancing social welfare. They also work with an intent to make money. They are paid well often because they have confidence in their ability to do well and they clearly express their worth to those who decide the pay rate, whether it be boss or client.  

I gave a copy of this one to my niece as a high school graduation present.  My brother, who knows me as a struggling academic with a bent toward poverty, was amused. But these authors have changed my outlook, and by changing my outlook they have changed my life for the better.  There is no greater gift and I am forever grateful.  If you are a woman who can't pay the bills each month, go get this one and do the exercises.  You will be glad you did.

At very least, download a two-page summary written by me.  It's free and the link is right here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment