Sunday, January 11, 2015

Book Review: FISH!

Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve ResultsFish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results by Stephen C. Lundin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It's always good to become familiar with a classic work like this, a book or concept that is widely known throughout the work world.  In this case, I am glad I read it.  I sure would like to live in a society where more people knew this philosophy, or more importantly, where more people lived this philosophy.

I first picked the book up because a client organization asked me to deliver a presentation at an all-staff in-service, something to help inspire the troops and boost morale.  I asked what they had already tried and they explained they had been implementing the FISH method.  I never like to recreate wheels, so I went to the original source to see what fresh inspiration I might find.  (In the end, I found my answer in the third book of the series -- FISH! Sticks -- which is about sustaining change.)

Simple ideas are always the best, especially when not overwhelmed by other ideas.  Much thanks is due the Pike Place Fish Market guys for figuring out that applying the simple ideas of choosing your attitude, being present, intending to help others, and going out of our way to have fun not only improves quality of work life, but it also improves customer service and grows the business.  Credit is also due the authors for seeing that the FISH method has wide applicability.

My summary for this one includes the other two books in the series, FISH Tales (real-life stories from those who have adopted the principles) and FISH Sticks about sustaining the change.  Download it for free by clicking here.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment