Sunday, April 5, 2015

Book Review: The Dip

The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit by Seth Godin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Here's one that lives up to its billing: a little book with a simple - but powerful - message. Quitting things is a thing unto itself.  Whether to quit or to stick with a task, effort, project, job, relationship, etc. is a strategic decision that requires some thought.  Godin provides structure to the process of thinking through whether to stay or go, hang with it or cut it loose.  He provides comfort for those who walked away from a dead end position and suffered the judgment of loved ones who say that "winners never quit."  He provides encouragement for those who are choosing to stick with something that seems hard or impossible because they believe the payoff will be worth it in the end. I had twenty different things in mind while reading these 75 pages.  Looking back over the years, I can see that I have sometimes quit projects too soon, and I have stayed too long in jobs I should not have.  After reading this little book, I quit two volunteer commitments that were not fulfilling to me. Now I focus on the projects I am passionate about, where I can make a difference.  Books that make me think make me happy.  Books that cause me to take action make my life better.  Thanks, Mr. Godin. I am pretty sure my life just got better.  That's why you get the five stars for this one!  Downloadable two page summary here!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment