Sunday, August 30, 2015

Book Review: The One Thing You Need to Know...

The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual SuccessThe One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success by Marcus Buckingham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Since I truly believe you should read this book, or at least the two-page summary of it I posted here, the only thing I will tell you about the "one thing" is that it is actually three things: one for managing, one for leading, and one for success as an individual. 

Buckingham has put the lid on the question of the difference between managing and leading.  I suppose the debate will go on, but I am now clear in my own mind.  Great managers are not necessarily great leaders and vice versa.  Each requires a different skill set and different talents (also known as strengths to those of us who have read Buckingham's other works.)  People may be more naturally suited to one role or another, but skills can be learned and anyway it is always best to have a clear understanding of what we are already good at. 

So, if I have a natural aptitude for reading people's unique characteristics and how they like to be treated, I might make a good manager.  On the other hand, if I am very good at tapping in to what is universal among all people, I might be a better leader.

Oops.  Have I said too much?

The One Thing You Need to Know About Sustained Personal Success has been my permission slip to have a great life of my own choosing.  It'll be that for you, too. If you haven't read this one, add it to your list.  You will be glad you did. And so will anyone you manage or lead.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment