Sunday, January 17, 2016

Chapter 3: The Solution

One of my all-time favorite bumper stickers read: "Subvert the Dominant Paradigm." My radicalized, college-age, capitalism-hating self really thought that was cool. Our society had it all wrong. The world was full of injustice and all the greedy people who created the system and all the blind minions who propped it up were the root cause of all I disliked.

I've mellowed some with time, of course, but I've always worried that my conforming ways have me off the path to greatness I once thought I was bound for. Daily life is easier when I don't feel myself to be at loggerheads with the world all around, but so many peaceful days in a row have begun to feel like I've settled for mediocrity. That's why I value Dr. Covey's work so much. I believe in the promise he's made to deliver the road map back to greatness. Some huge shakeups lie ahead for me and it's not likely to be easy, but I have to do it.

The problem, you see, is me. The self that I am today IS mediocre and the fix is therefore internal. By seeking to get along with others, I have suppressed my own views, feelings, and needs. I have squelched my own creativity, stifled my own voice. In so doing, I have not only harmed myself but I have also diminished my influence and limited my contribution to the world. You could call that irony.

The good news, according to Covey, is "No matter how long we've walked life's pathway to mediocrity, we can always choose to switch paths. Always. It's never too late. We can find our own voice."  We just have to switch paradigms.

The 8th habit is "Find Your Voice and Inspire Others to Find Theirs." Both parts are critical and both require immense internal work. To be influential, to really make a difference and leave a last legacy, one must be completely authentic. Without that, there is no trust (including trust of self) and without trust there is no influence. As authenticity falls off, so does our ability to achieve great things.

Knowing and expressing one's true self in all areas - vision, discipline, passion, and conscience - is not optional any more than breathing air is optional.

Because no one is an island, and most work is done in conjunction with others, we need the people around us to find their own voices and to bring their best selves to our organizations. That's why "inspire others to find theirs" is such an important part of the 8th habit. The bulk of the book is devoted to teaching us how to do just that. Can't wait.

So, as I indicated in my December 27 blog, I am devoting this year to the study of the principles and other lessons detailed in The 8th Habit. I have accepted Dr. Covey's challenge to go through each of the remaining chapters slowly and deliberately, working to apply the insights of each for one month at a time. I will do my best to keep the blog posts coming and to share my learnings. Next week I will provide an orientation to the 8th Habit website. In subsequent weeks I will post summaries of some of the related books I'll explore as I go throughout the year. Ya'll are welcome to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment