Sunday, September 14, 2014

Book Review: The Story Factor

The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of StorytellingThe Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling by Annette Simmons

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I will put this on my list of top ten books on personal development.  A how-to book on influencing others that begins with self-reflection and the integrity required to project authenticity and believability.  This book is very well done, and I see how it earned its spot in the "100 Best Business Books of All Time."

Much like Stephen R. Covey (who wrote The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, among other things) Annette Simmons is not a fan of technique. That is to say, she believes that only basic goodness, honesty, and strong character can produce influence.  People of good intent can learn more about the power of story to bring others to their side, but story cannot be effectively used by the ill-intentioned to manipulate others.  That strategy may work in the short-term, but will eventually lead to failure.

I've had friends tell me they think storytelling is a strength of mine.  After reading The Story Factor, I hope they are right.  I know what I have to do to improve, anyway... and that is always a good thing. 

I wrote a two-page summary of this one.  Download it for free by clicking here

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment