Sunday, October 5, 2014

Book Review: Six Disciplines for Excellence

Six Disciplines for Excellence: Building Small Businesses That Learn, Lead and LastSix Disciplines for Excellence: Building Small Businesses That Learn, Lead and Last by Gary Harpst

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I always appreciate well-organized material.  Step one, step two etc... By giving us six phases in the planning and implementation cycle, what Harpst calls "disciplines," readers who are inexperienced with planning, implementing, and evaluating their programs are getting a blueprint.  Old hands like me get something quite valuable to share with client groups.  I especially love the emphasis on getting people and systems aligned with your goals and values.  After all, if we set a goal to foster creativity throughout the organization and then reward staff only for showing up on time and being productive, then our personnel system is not in alignment with our stated goals.  I've gone back to this book many times since I first read it.   The tools and group exercises are especially valuable.

For a two-page summary, written by me, click here.  It is free and downloadable!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment